News Impact Summit: Elevating Climate Journalism
The 2023 News Impact Summit in Lisbon will explore the vibrant intersection between journalism and climate science, addressing the challenges and opportunities faced by climate journalists in an era of rapid technological advancements and growing climate urgency. Participants will explore cutting-edge storytelling techniques, AI-powered data analysis and collaborative reporting that bridges the gap between science and media. The summit will also discuss the role of journalists in promoting climate resilience and informed action.
As climate science evolves, journalists must navigate interdisciplinary research, complex modelling, and solutions-oriented approaches to communicate compelling stories that resonate with diverse audiences. The News Impact Summit in Lisbon provides an important opportunity for journalists and journalism professionals to exchange ideas and inspiration. Through conversations, networking opportunities, and collaborative sessions, participants will leave equipped with knowledge and tools needed to elevate their climate reporting and effectively engage audiences as humanity responds to this critical global issue.
About this Event
By joining the Summit, you will:
- Immerse yourself in the world of climate journalism through keynote presentations and interactive, hands-on sessions;
- Learn best practises to reinforce the reliability of climate journalism and foster increased community engagement in climate-related conversations;
- Gain practical knowledge on how to utilise data to produce compelling climate stories;
- Meet with local and international experts in the field to reimagine the future of climate journalism.
About the News Impact Summits
Since 2014, the EJC has organised 35 News Impact Summits. The Summits have inspired communities of journalists and media organisations in 28 cities in 19 countries across Europe and the Middle East, featuring 400+ speakers from leading international news organisations.
08.30 – 9.00 Registrations and coffee09.00 – 09.15 Opening remarks
09.15 – 10.00 European Space Agency: Tracking Climate Change from Space
10.00 – 11.00 Lightning Talks
- Who Tells Climate Stories?
- Covering Extreme Weather Stories
- Visualising Climate Data
11.00 – 11.45 Coffee break
11.45 – 12.30 Killed Defending the Planet: Protecting Environmental Journalists and Activists
12.30 – 13.30 Breakout sessions #1
- Tackling Greenwashing and Climate Misinformation, AFP
- Getting Involved: Climate Journalism for the Community (this session is in Portuguese)
- How to Get Started in Space Journalism, Vertical52
13.30 – 14.30 Lunch
14.30 – 15.15 From Anxiety to Action: How Can Solutions-Driven Journalism Engage Exhausted Audiences?
15.15 – 15.45 Coffee Break
15.45 – 16.45 Breakout sessions #2
- How to Frame Climate and Migration Humanely, Guiti News
- Tools for Climate Journalism, Google News Lab
- Climate Journalism on Youtube, Deutsche Welle Planet A
16.45 – 17.45 Climate Journalism Award Ceremony
17.45 – 19.00 Networking and Drinks
The European Journalism Centre (EJC) foundation is an independent Dutch non-profit based in the city of Maastricht, The Netherlands. Our purpose is to support, strengthen and develop journalism and media in the council of Europe.