- This event has passed.
European Slate Development
November 9 @ 8:00 - 17:00
European Slate Development (CREA-MEDIA-2024-DEVSLATE)
NEED HELP WITH THIS CALL?
In order to be eligible, the applicants (beneficiaries and affiliated entities) must:
- be legal entities (public or private bodies)
- be established in one of the eligible countries, i.e.:
- Creative Europe Participating Countries:
- EU Member States (including overseas countries and territories (OCTs))
- non-EU countries: listed EEA countries and countries associated to the Creative Europe Programme or countries which are in ongoing negotiations for an association agreement and where the agreement enters into force before grant signature .
- Creative Europe Participating Countries:
- be established in one of the countries participating fully in the MEDIA strand of the Creative Europe Programme and be owned directly or indirectly, wholly or by majority participation, by nationals from such countries. When a company is publicly listed companies, the location of the stock exchange will in principle determine its nationality.
- be independent European audiovisual production companies that can demonstrate recent experience in producing internationally distributed works.
Beneficiaries and affiliated entities must register in the Participant Register — before submitting the proposal — and will have to be validated by the Central Validation Service (REA Validation). For the validation, they will be requested to upload documents showing legal status and origin.
Only applications by single applicants are allowed (single beneficiaries).
Within the specific objective of promoting competitiveness, scalability, cooperation, innovation and sustainability, including through mobility in the European audiovisual sector, one of the priorities of the MEDIA Strand is:
- to nurture talents, competence and skills and to stimulate cross-border cooperation, mobility and innovation in the creation and production of European audiovisual works, encouraging collaboration across Member States with different audiovisual capacities.
The objective of the European slate development support is to foster the competitiveness of European independent production companies and to increase their economic weight on the market. The aim is also to increase the capacity of audio-visual producers to develop projects with the potential to circulate throughout Europe and beyond, and to facilitate European and international coproduction.
The support will also provide an entry point for emerging talent, giving them the opportunity to direct a short film supported by the strong foundation provided by experienced companies.
Themes and priorities (scope)
The MEDIA Strand shall provide support for the following measures:
- Development of audio-visual works by European independent production companies, covering a variety of formats (such as feature films, short films, series, documentaries, narrative video games) and genres, and targeting diverse audiences, including children and young people.
Activities that can be funded (scope)
Support will be given to independent European production companies able to develop a slate of 3 to 5 audio-visual works (fiction, animation, creative documentary). This should allow production companies to reduce risks and increase their capacity to attract and retain talents.
The European slate development shall provide support to the development of minimum 3 and maximum 5 works for commercial exploitation intended for cinema release, television broadcasting or commercial exploitation on digital platforms or a multi-platform environment in the following categories: animation, creative documentary or fiction. Applicants may add a short film by emerging talent to their slate (optional).
The aim is to provide funds to audio-visual production companies to develop work with high creative value and cultural diversity and wide cross-border exploitation potential. Companies are encouraged to develop strategies for marketing and distribution from the outset of the development phase thus improving the potential to reach audiences at a European and international level.
Greater cooperation, including co-development, between operators from different countries participating in the MEDIA Strand is also pursued as well as strengthening the competitiveness of European audio-visual production companies by consolidating their capacity for investment in the development phase and expanding companies’ activities and their innovation capacity to explore new fields and markets.
Applications should present adequate strategies to ensure a more sustainable and more environmentally-respectful industry and to ensure gender balance, inclusion, diversity and representativeness.
Applicants must present a slate including a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 5 eligible works.
Only the development activities for the following works are eligible:
- Feature films, animations and creative documentaries of a minimum length of 60 minutes intended primarily for cinematic release;
- Fiction projects (one-off or series) of a total duration of minimum 90 minutes, animation (one-off or series) of a total duration of minimum 24 minutes and creative documentaries (one-off or series) of a total duration of minimum 50 minutes intended primarily for the purposes of television or digital platform exploitation;
- Interactive, immersive fiction, animation or creative documentary projects (e.g., narrative virtual reality projects) of any duration.
The following works are ineligible for both development and short film activities:
- live recordings, TV games, talk shows, cooking shows, magazines, tv-shows, reality shows, educational, teaching and “how to” programmes;
- documentaries promoting tourism, “making-of”, reports, animal reportages, news programmes and “docu-soaps”;
- projects including pornographic or racist material or advocating violence;
- works of a promotional nature;
- institutional productions to promote a specific organisation or its activities;
- music videos and video-clips;
- video games, e-books and interactive books;
- student films and graduation works.
- The available call budget is 18.000.000,00 €.
- Project budget (maximum grant amount): between 90.000,00 € and 510.000,00 € per project.
- The grant will be a lump sum grant. This means that it will reimburse a fixed amount, based on a lump sum or financing not linked to costs. The amount is prefixed by the granting authority at:
- Animation one-off: 55.000,00 €
- Animation series: 60.000,00 €
- Creative documentary one-off: 30.000,00 €
- Creative documentary series: 35.000,00 €
- Fiction one-off with a production budget below or equal to 5M: 45.000,00 €
- Fiction one-off with a production budget above 5M: 60.000,00€
- Fiction series with a production budget below or equal to 5M: 55.000,0 0€
- Fiction series with a production budget above 5M but below or equal to 20M: 75.000,00 €
- Fiction series with a production budget above 20M: 100.000,00 €
- Short film: 10.000,00€
- Projects should not normally exceed 36 months.